June 1, 2007

Turtle

I saw a snapping turtle yesterday. Riding my bike from home to church, at about 8:45, there was a snapping turtle keeping me company on the sidewalk. I didn't get too close, but I did slow down long enough to say "Hi" and watch for a minute.

He was a big fellow, his shell larger than our dinner plates. And he was definitely going somewhere, though there weren't too many ponds nearby. But as I continued riding my bike, I learned a couple of things from that turtle.

1. Life is a lot more fun when you slow down.
2. We're all going someplace--the journey to that place is the adventure.
3. Slow and steady wins--according to the fable.
4. Travel light--may you be able to carry everything you need on your back.

The last time I saw a snapping turtle this close, I was fishing with a couple of friends in high school. On my last cast, I snagged him through his front foot. I never knew turtles could hiss so loud! Oh, one last thing I was reminded of from yesterday's turtle...look both ways before you cross the street.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Ethan--you may be able to carry everything you need on your back, but speak for yourself--I have hair products to tote along! Lots of them, LOL!

I get it, just kiddin ya. Since when did you start riding your bike 1000 miles to church and back? What's up with all this biking/motorbiking stuff lately?