February 11, 2009

Take a Flying Leap

We live in a culture that is addicted to playing it safe.

Four years ago, I severely tore my ACL, meniscus, and cartilage in my right knee in a pick-up basketball game in East St. Louis. Six weeks later, I had surgery—anesthesia sleep is so good! One year later, I was in the best shape of my life, thanks to therapy and rehab.

Since my surgery, I have not slowed down.

Every now and then, I’ll tell my parents what I’m doing or about to do and Dad’ll caution, “Be careful. You’ve already blown out one knee.”

I understand completely what he’s saying. But sometimes we overemphasize being careful or safe and we forget to that life was meant to be lived. I read the following quote many years ago, and can only hope that it applies to my life.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out and proclaiming, "Wow, what a ride!"

I would much prefer it be said of me and my life that I was willing to take creative and bold risks to glorify God and grow His Kingdom, not that I settled down played it safe and sound, out of harm’s way.

The Kingdom grows in leaps and bounds when love and risk go hand in hand.

2 comments:

jenniferharrisdault said...

How does one immersed in U.S. culture become a risk-taker? My recent blog talks about how I've come to realize I'm not -- at all... I'd like some insight from a fellow journeyer!

joeldaniel said...

great thoughts. i love that quote & it's been awhile since i've seen it. thanks for posting.