February 17, 2006

Confessions of a Want-ist

In a little more than a week, my oldest daughter will turn 5. For the last few months, every time we’ve gone somewhere (Mall, Wal-Mart, Gas station), she’s let me know what she’s wanted for her birthday. She’s changed her mind about a dozen times regarding what “kind” of birthday party she wants, from McDonald’s to ice skating with Clifford to Libby Lu’s to….

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. This is the confession of a Want-ist.

Jamie says that when she was young, if she wanted something, she’d write it down on a piece of paper, wait a month, and then see if she still wanted it. That’s how one becomes the “saver” in the family.

My list of wants grows daily. From guitars to guitars to books and CD’s, I feel like I’m always wanting one more thing. One of my heroes, Rich Mullins, wrote about this in a song called “My One Thing”.

Everybody I know says they need just one thing
And what they really mean is they need just one thing more
And everybody seems to think they’ve got it coming

Ultimately, all I have is given to me by God to turn around and give to those God has put on my path. I am not here to get from God. I am here to give from God.

The simple solution for a Want-ist is cultivating a thankful heart. So, this morning, I am thankful for:

  1. Family
  2. Friends
  3. Shelter from the cold
  4. Food to eat
  5. Songs to sing

What are you thankful for?

No comments: